Fred Waghorn and a new interpretation on the Battle of Hastings
The Manor of Whatlington was held by King Harold II and it was here that our last Saxon King heard Mass before the fateful battle in 1066. The yew tree which stood here until 1987 was thought to have been used by William the Conqueror to hang members of King Harold’s personal guard. The present church is 11th to 13th century and was heavily restored by the Victorians in 1862. The church suffered a serious fire in July 2010.