Hello from 1066 Medieval Mosaic
After our morning walk, out with Alfie, we decided we should go out for the day as we have not been out for days. It is only 14C, half of what it was this time last week but it is not raining so off an adventure we went. Our first church micro was at Kentisbury church. It is a fantastic church and a real surprise. It had an amazing painted barrel roof and a lovely painted pulpit. It has green tiles on the sanctity floor and a beautiful mosaic reredos. There were also several stone corbels in really good condition.
The Kentisbury church, dedicated to St Thomas, is a Grade 2 listed building. It is first mentioned in 1275 when Hamilton de Heanton was appointed rector. The Wolf family were the founders of the church and held the Manor until the 16th century. The church consists a Sanctuary, Chancel, North Aisle, Nave, Tower and incomplete Openshaw Chapel. The 15th-century tower contains six bells which are rung on special occasions.
At Parracombe we went to Christ Church. It has a lovely altar cloth and some stained glass windows. From outside the church, the Holwell Castle is clearly seen. It is a motte and bailey castle probably built by either Martin de Tours, the first Lord of Parracombe, William de Falaise (who married Martin’s widow) or Robert FitzMartin, although there are no written records to validate this.
Motte and bailey castles are medieval fortifications introduced into Britain by the Normans. They comprised a large conical mound of earth or rubble, the motte, surmounted by a palisade and a stone or timber tower. Motte and bailey castles acted as garrison forts during offensive military operations, as strongholds, and, in many cases, as aristocratic residences and as centres of local or royal administration. Built in towns, villages and open countryside, motte and bailey castles generally occupied strategic positions dominating their immediate locality.
Parracombe’s St Petrock’s Church, now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust was our next visit. The cache was not easy to find as we could not find the track and had to approach it from the A39. It is a pity as there would have been lots of other, much nicer places to put a cache. Then we headed towards Martinhoe but got the wrong road so ended up by accident at the National Trust’s Heddon Valley. I hope we will be able to come back to this area to do some of the walking tracks but Alfie wasn’t up to it and we wouldn’t leave him in the car. We drove up to Trentishoe to visit the church and then back to the valley, then on to Lynton via Martinhoe. Martin church is an 11th-century church.
The Heddon Valley is renowned for its natural environment, with bridges and stepping stones along the river, meadows, and walks which start from the National Trust shop and information centre which has been in the ownership of the National Trust since 1963.
What a great little town Lynton was. We had taken no food with us so bought a pasty and a coffee each for a late lunch after 3 pm. We had a walk around the town as far as the tramway which goes down to the bottom of the cliff but Alfie had had enough and it was getting late in the day.
Had a quick look at Lynmouth. The tide was right out but it looks like a great place to stay and visit for longer. Just after we arrived home it started to rain and after tea, we settled in for the night. A lovely day!