Hello from 1066 – A Medieval Mosaic
Today was our first day in Fawley Chapel so we decided to go for a walk around the block to visit the chapel. The roads were super muddy as this is right in the middle of a farm and tractors have been going up and down the road leaving mud everywhere. No possibility of keeping the car clean around here. LOL
Pema and Pinga are lovely and walk happily on the lead, not pulling or trying to stop every couple of seconds. The chapel backs onto our property and when we got to the other side we found a gate which would take up home again. We didn’t go that way though as the dogs needed a decent walk. The chapel is situated at the end of a lane, alongside a farm on the north bank of the River Wye, and is a two-celled building with a barrel-vaulted chancel. Construction is of sandstone rubble with a rough ashlar facing to the south wall of the nave. The earliest parts are 12th-century, it was widened to the south and lengthened westwards, probably in the 14th-century and further work dates from the 16th and 17th centuries when a west bell chamber and double bell-opening was added. The chancel was rebuilt in 1827. The triple-arched chancel arch, the blocked north doorway and the font are all. Romanesque features. Fawley was not mentioned by name in the Domesday Survey, but the chapel was at some stage a chapel of ease to Brockhampton, and it is fair to assume that it fell within that manor. In 1086 Brockhampton was made up of 5 English hides and 3 Welsh hides, held by the Canons of Hereford Cathedral.
The chapel is dedicated to St John the Baptist and has a 12th-century round font with a roughly tooled octagonal cushion capital. It had a lovely Christopher Whall stained glass window from 1911. There is also a ledger stone to John Powell who died in 1834 with a decorative Godwin tile surround. There was a 13th-century coffin lid with a Celtic design on it.