Hello from 1066 – A Medieval Mosaic
Charlie Haylock from Sudbury, in Suffolk, came to visit our exhibition in Burford and recently he contacted us to see if we would be interested in bringing the Medieval Mosaic to Suffolk if he was able to organise a venue. We told him that we would love to hold an exhibition if he could find somewhere suitable. Charlie is an author, entertainer and has a monthly spot on BBC Suffolk radio. To this end, he put an article into the East Anglian Daily Times asking for venues to host the mosaic. The Mayor of Woodbridge, Clare Perkins contacted us about a possible venue and today we travelled to Woodbridge to meet and have lunch with Clare and her partner James Lightfoot, Charlie and Ruth Haylock, Annie and Philip Leech. They are all very keen for us to bring the mosaic to their town and have a venue called the ‘Longshed’ which is where they are proposing it to go. However, this building has not yet been signed over to the council by the developer. After an interesting lunch, we walked along the waterfront walk to view the ‘Longshed’. The shed has been newly built alongside a new museum and waterfront housing to enable the Woodbridge Riverside Trust to build a full-size working replica of the Sutton Hoo Anglo Saxon burial ship.
Before the lunch, we went to St Mary’s church in Woodbridge where we saw ‘The Deban Millennium Frieze’. It was designed by Michael Coulter and created by the Deban Decorative and Fine Arts Society. It is 20-foot long and 3-foot wide and depicts a brief history of Woodbridge over the past 2000 years. There is also a “The Epiphany” oil painting by Rupert Corbould from 1875 and a modern painting of ‘Divorced, Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Survived – The Six Wives of Henry VIII’ by Claire Fried.
There is an amazing set of 15th-century Albrede Rood Screen panels which were a 1448 gift of John and Agnes Albrede, a twill weaver. 14 panels remain out of the original 34 and faithful copies of the rood screen panels in the British Museum were created by Mr J.T. Carter of London in 1898. The tomb of Thomas Seckford, Master of the Court of Bequests, 1515-1587, the 15th-century font with an openwork cover by W.A.Forsyth, 1937 and a George III Royal Coat of Arms are amongst the other treasures of the church.
There were two especially impressive stained glass windows, ‘Te Deum’ window by A.L.Moore made in 1908 and ‘The Four Evangelists’ by Thomas Willement of London made in 1846.
As it is November 5th and bonfire night we saw several lots of fireworks on our three-hour drive back to Witney.