Hello from 1066 – A Medieval Mosaic
The main settlement at Warminster dates back to the Anglo-Saxon period, although there is evidence of pre-historic settlements in the area with the nearby Iron Age hill forts. Two Roman villas have been discovered in the area, also caches of Roman coins.
St Denys church, Warminster, was a real pleasure to visit. It had a square font with granite pillars and a wonderful mosaic floor beneath from 1889. Other areas of tiled floor in the chancel and sanctity were also lovely. The stained glass windows were a great mix of styles by O’Connor, Burlison & Grylls, Powell & Sons and Clayton & Bell. There were also wall plaques, a font wall hanging, a pictorial brass, and an octagonal pulpit with tracery. Harry Hems of Exeter made the wonderful reredos with gilded stone frame and the octagonal pulpit with tracery and inlaid marble. The kneelers all had dark green or navy backgrounds and stitched with regimental insignia. The nave had a great variety of stone carved corbels depicting angels playing musical instruments.
Christ church also in Warminster was closed and the geocache was missing too so we were soon off to Saint Peter and St Paul in Longbridge Deverill and this church has some real treasures. The six small stained glass windows along the top were beautiful as were the lovely C.E. Kempe windows in yellow, white and very little other colour. The detail of these was so intricate. The tile work was also awesome and there were lots of wall monuments including one to Sir John Thynne complete with a family tree from 1580 – 1934.
After that, we went to Chicklade, Fonthill Bishop, Fonthill Gifford and Hindon with only Hindon being open and only finding two out of the four geocaches.